Fitness Classes - Land & Water
There are lots of benefits to group exercise -- some say its the friendships and camaraderie. Others say it's the mental and physical side to working out in a group. The J believes in both and that's why group exercise is a main stay fitness and wellness offering. Whether on land or in the water you'll get an amazing workout.
Ever think about using the water for your workout? Tim Ezell of Fox 2 News dove in this morning for some Aqua Power.
Water Fitness Classes
If you're looking for alternative ways to get a great workout, try a water exercise class. There are several different types of water fitness classes from beginners to regulars and various intensity levels. Classes are offered at both the Chesterfield and Creve Coeur locations. Here are descriptions of each of the classes:
- Aqua Cardio Conditioning: Moderate-impact, water-specific exercises designed to progressively build strength, flexibility, and endurance in a refreshing and joint-supportive environment.
- Aqua Flow: With the aid of the water’s buoyancy and resistance can help improve joint flexibility. Good choice for those participants with arthritis, rehabbing, or new to aqua fitness.
- Aqua Power: This is a high intensity, multidiscipline workout in the lap pool. Participants must be comfortable in all depths of the pool. Finning, treading, kickboxing, traditional water moves and more.
- Aqua Power Deep: High intensity, no impact water resistance training that improves muscle tone, aerobic capacity, flexibility, strength, and endurance with the use of resistance equipment and floatation belts; class will be held in the deep water.
- Aqua Tai Chi: Moving meditation in the pool. Improve body awareness and range of motion.
- Aqua Zumba: A dance pool party for all ages and levels. It brings the moves and music of Zumba into the water. Full body workout that pushes the resistance of the water to the max.
- Arthritis Class: Program participants are led by trained personnel through a series of specially designed exercises which, with the aid of the water’s buoyancy and resistance, can help improve joint flexibility.
- Strength & Flexibility: Improve balance, flexibility, strengthen muscles, increase mobility and improve overall well-being.
Land Fitness Classes
Group Exercise Classes are extremely popular at both JCC locations and a fantastic way to burn calories, work up a sweat and have a great time doing it. We have a variety of classes to choose from beyond what you see here.
Red classes are brand new!
- Ballroom, Latin & Swing Dancing: Learn to dance—partner not required! Wear comfortable dancing shoes.
- Bokwa: Move to the music as you draw letters and numbers with your feet in this free form exercise. If you can spell and count, you'll love it - there is no choreography and no counting steps, just great cardio fun!
- BOSU Sculpt: Group training utilizing dumbbells, body bars and other strength equipment as well as the BosU to strengthen your total body and to maximize you core work!
- Booty Barre: This energetic, fun workout fuses fitness techniques from Dance, Pilates, and Yoga to tone, define and chisel the whole body. It combines strength and flexibility with added cardio to burn fat fast.
- Cardio Ballet Barre: Want to feel like a dancer? Try this high-low impact workout incorporating the principles of ballet barre, cardiovascular, balance, stretching and poise.
- Cardio/Core: This upbeat, energetic class focuses on 30 minutes of cardiovascular training utilizing high and low impact movements followed by 30 minutes of core conditioning.
- Cardio Circuit: Non-stop, one-minute intervals of cardio, sculpting and abdominals. This class is guaranteed to work your entire body, leaving you feeling renewed and energized.
- Cardio Pump: A low-intensity aerobic class combining strength and endurance, joint stability and mobility, balance and flexibility.
- Circuits 101: An introductory class for beginners or new members to learn the basics of circuit training instructed by a personal trainer.
- CORE: A class that strengthens and stabilizes the abdominals and lower back through intense exercises targeting the core.
- Core Fusion: Core Fusion the focus is on functional strength and flexibility. It works from the inside out, integrating your core with every move. The deep-toning approach goes far beyond the surface muscles, working hard-to-reach areas that traditional exercises can't reach. Infused with yoga-inspired postures and core-conditioning exercises, this invigorating workout produces real results and will leave you feeling relaxed and refreshed.
- Drills: Intervals of cardio and weight training to improve strength, heart health and maximize caloric output.
- Early Express Circuit: Squeeze in a great total body workout in the early a.m.! You can jump into this circuit at any time during the class for strength training and cardio intervals.
- Everlasting Strength: A low-intensity strength and endurance class, also building stability, mobility, balance and flexibility.
- Express Sculpt: This 45-minute sculpt class will give you the energy to get through the rest of the day and increase your strength and endurance.
- Forever Fit: A low-intensity aerobic class for a great cardiovascular workout. Also combines strength and endurance, joint stability and mobility, balance and flexibility.
- Gentle Pilates: A gentle intro class ideal for students looking to get into Pilates.
- Gentle Yoga: This Yoga class is gentle enough to attend everyday and ideal for students looking to begin their practice.
- Kettlebell: This class will offer cardiovascular, resistance and weight control benefits.
- Kettlebell Cross Train: Learn how to properly utilize kettlebell techniques using natural momentum, proper posture and alignment, blended with familiar resistance training techniques and equipment.
- Nia: Is a well-being fitness and lifestyle practice inspired by Martial, Dance and Healing Arts.
- Physique Fusion: The latest exercise of the stars! Strengthen and tone while lengthening the muscles with intervals of stretching. Light weights, floor work, ballet barre all used to push your muscles to exhaustion.
- Pilates: A progressive series of exercises designed to increase the strength of your body’s core (abdominals, back, glutes and hip) while lengthening the muscles. All classes are “multi-level” unless otherwise noted.
- Pilates on the Beam: Core based training that tones, improves balance, flexibility and posture.
- Punch & Crunch: A higher intensity, circuit emphasized class that will challenge you with boxing, core work, and high velocity endurance.
- Sculpting: Class rotates monthly between strength, power and endurance formats, providing the changes you need to avoid the plateaus and maximize results.
- Spin: An aerobic class that takes place on a stationary bike. Experience taking a ride while an instructor talks you through a visualized outdoor cycling workout with music!
- Step/Stepping Up: The class combines choreographed step moves to make you sweat! Increase your cardiovascular and muscular endurance and leave feeling energized.
- Strength PIYO: A dynamic, faster-paced class designed to effectively improve functional training and dynamic balance using moves inspired by Pilates, Yoga, athletic conditioning and functional training.
- Stretch and Roll: Utilizes a foam roller to combine movements from Yoga to improve flexibility and balance; movements from Pilates to increase core strength, and movements from myofacial release therapy targeting trigger points to soothe and release tight muscles.
- Total Conditioning: As an option to cardio, this class combines anaerobic activity with plyometric and calisthenics drills offering a challenging workout.
- Triple S: This class combines the best of step, sculpt and stretch to increase your cardiovascular/ muscular endurance and increase your flexibility.
- Turbo Kick: An energizing, cardio kickboxing interval class which includes intensity drills and increased energy sprints followed by work recovery segments.
- Women's Only Cardio Strength: A class with all fun different ways to get in your cardio workout, finished with stretching and abdominal work.
- Yoga: Build strength, flexibility and balance through a unique combination of breathing techniques and postures. All classes are “multi-level” unless noted; instructors will determine level of class. (Beginner classes also offered. Please check the schedule.)
Zumba: A fusion of Latin and International music. The routines feature aerobic/fitness interval training with a combination of fast and slow rhythms that tone and sculpt the body.